Saturday, May 1, 2010

Natchitoches

I hope I spelled it right. Eric and I found good bar b q in Ruston yesterday. That was the beginning of our Louisianna food tour. What did we do before the Internet and GPS. Right before lunch, my cell phone's battery went dead, which has my GPS on it. We had my laptop looking for a place to eat, and had to use mapquest to get directions. A few years ago, we would have been stuck with McDonald's or Pizza hut on the main drag. We ate at Dowling's. It was a small bar b q joint and it was good, well, very good. Eric had the ribs and I had the brisket with bake beans and potato salad. Then it was on down the road to our final destination. We are staying at the Queen Ann Bed and Breakfast. We found this place on the Internet. I had heard about Nachitoches from the lady that "cuts" Eric's hair. This is the town where Steel Magnolia's was filmed. It's suppose to be the oldest town in Louisiana. The main street faces the Cane River (where they had the Easter egg hunt in Steel Magnolia's). It is paved in brick. Our B&B is nice. It was a little surprising that our room has large sliding doors right beside the parlor and front door. We were a little concerned at first about the privacy and when we opened the doors this morning to go to breakfast, we were greeted by the rest of the residents. Good Morning ! It hasn't been that bad though. We are the youngest here, and the rest of the residence are from Louisiana. One with a strong New Orleans accent. Our bed is very comfortable and I slept well last night. One problem around here is noise. OMG!! There is train you get use to, but the siren's from ambulance and police are terrible. This town is busier than I thought it would be and Front Street, where all the nice shops are, is very busy with local traffic. I haven't figured that one out yet. Also, last night when I laid down to sleep, I said out loud "I wonder what that door goes to." It's a locked door with a window pain above the door (I love it - very antique!). I found out this morning at 6:50 it leads to the kitchen. O well, I needed to get up anyway. Breakfast was served at 8:30. Bread pudding, breakfast casserole, sour cream grits and biscuit, and orange cranberry juice. It was very delicious and we had good company.
Oh yeah, and last night for supper we ate at a local place called Momma's Oyster Bar. We had oysters on the half shell, shrimp and crawfish. It was VERY good. We were able to walk there from our B&B and the local homes have really nice flower gardens. I could eat there again tonight, but maybe we will try something new. I am trying to get Eric to go to the Green Market right now, but naps are calling his name. May have to venture out on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment